The Michigan Head Start Association is governed by no less than 15 and no more than 21 members on the Board of Directors. It is composed of an equal representation of Head Start directors, Head Start staff and Head Start parents.
The Board of Directors:
- shall meet at least four (4) times each year;
- are elected at the January Assembly each year to oversee the work of the Director, provide leadership for the Assembly, problem-solve, and see to it that the mission of the MHSA is carried out;
- officers are elected by the full Assembly in January (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer)
- MHSA Board of Directors send a Delegation to the Region V Association Board Meetings. The Region V Board (which represents Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois Head Start programs) meets four times a year. The MHSA Delegation may consist of a Director, Staff and Parent to represent them on the Region V Board.
Region V Board sends a delegation to the National Head Start Association Board. A Director, Staff, Parent and Friend from the Region V Board are elected to represent our Region on the National Head Start Association Board. All twelve Regions send four people to serve on the NHSA Board.
As members of MHSA, Grantee Head Start/Early Head Start Programs:
- pay membership dues once a year.
- members may send a delegation to the Assembly Meetings (decision-making body of MHSA):1 director, 1 staff person, and 2 parents. Assembly meetings occur three times a year (Winter, Spring and Fall)
Members of the Assembly of the MHSA shall be responsible for carrying out the mission of the Association. In addition, Assembly members shall be responsible for:
- ratify nominations to the Board of Directors of the MHSA from the Assembly membership,
- serve on committees of the MHSA,
- vote on issues as proposed by the Board of Directors,
- approve amendments to the Bylaws
Click Here to download MHSA Bylaws